57 Surefire Ways To Cease Hair Pulling, However Do They Work
I lately asked some grownup hair pulling college students to compile a list of ways they’ve tried through the years to finish their trichotillomania. After just a handful had replied, I had fairly a prolonged record.
This listing of “methods to cease hair pulling” appears at the top of this text. When you evaluation it, you could also be shocked. How can people who’ve tried so long and laborious, using so some ways to free themselves from hair pulling nonetheless be wracked with a lot suffering You might end up saying, “Well, then . . . there Must NOT be a cure for trichotillomania..if people have tried so many ways to end hair pulling and have been unsuccessful.”
I ask you to look forward to only a second and to complete studying this text earlier than making that evaluation.
My expertise is that hair pulling is the result of a highly-delicate personality coupled with repeated emotional wounding. In my last article, you discovered that a very excessive proportion of hair pulling adults and dad and mom of hair pulling youngsters and teens report being “highly delicate”. People who are born extremely-sensitive are more vulnerable to wounding and trauma by issues that non-sensitives might not find even remotely upsetting or offensive. In a short time this wounding and trauma can make them really feel much more extremely-sensitive.
The cycle can repeat over and over leaving the person, usually a child or teen, to really feel a painful sense of excessive frustration, anger, sadness or fragility. And in flip, to hunt solace in a behavior such as hair pulling, which provides 24/7 relief, never says no, and unlike drugs, alcohol or cigarettes, is completely freed from cost and out there at any age.
Those that grow to be hair pullers are most often good kids with inner turmoil and a behavior of caretaking others. They do not want you to see their internal suffering. They are not looking for to harm anybody else or to seem weak. They don’t wish to cope by doing something unlawful that would lead to being carted off to jail or anything that could cause them to be seen in a adverse mild. For them trichotillomania is a perfect resolution. That’s, till the methods of its extremely addictive nature units in and the bald spots seem.
Caroline Myss, Ph.D. noted medical intuitive and author of “Why People Don’t Heal and the way They can,” wrote:
Many people come to imagine that their lives are only a compilation of psychological wounds, which they really feel they will do little to heal. To the suggestion that their wounds will be launched, such individuals often respond, “You do not understand. I have by no means been the same since that expertise. How can I change that now
After experiencing a traumatic or tragic expertise, these people have a tendency to take a look at each new expertise by means of the LENS OF THE WOUND it inflicted on them.
. . . They hunt down a help system that provides them a social comfort zone, one that will remain sympathetic to their woundedness with out ever difficult them to place it behind them.
Whereas there could also be some reality on this place and definitely our tradition promotes a “woundology” mentality, the majority of hair pullers are usually not sitting round moaning about their drawback or looking for methods to end their trichotillomania. As a substitute, everywhere in the world they’re hiding in disgrace and secrecy. Most don’t remember what led them to tug in the primary place and don’t know how they came to wrestle with such a cruel, self-harming affliction.
The answer, due to this fact, is to assist trichotillomania sufferers to reconnect with their core underlying truths in order that they’ll remember who they actually are beneath the wounding and the pulling and why they are deserve to be free. The next step is to assist them to see previous the lie that they are incapable of achieving freedom. And, then finally, to help them uncover and resolve the wounds of the highly-delicate parts that are patiently waiting inside them for healing and release.
This is the work of changing into Pull-Free, Ultimately!
In no particular order, here is the list of the way to cease hair pulling and finish trichotillomania that hairpullers I’ve interviewed have tried or used:
1. Brute pressure
3. Treatment, SSRI’s, mood stabilizers, anti-anxieties, and so on.
6. Cognitive conduct therapy (squeezing balls, steering wheel, rubber band punishment)
7. Nunn’s competing response (hold onto one thing and do not let go for several minutes)
11. Retaining chart and count of every hair pulled
12. Felt emotions when pulling
13. Turning it over to God, going to church and specializing in God
14. Studying the Bible
18. Talking to and confiding in others
19. Setting goals/milestones
20. Accepting trich
21. On-line assist group
23. Avoiding traumatic situations
24. Avoiding tv, studying books, speaking on the telephone, computer use
25. Cowl head with hat, scarves, bandana, sleeping with a hat, hairpins, barrettes
26. Retaining fingers consistently busy (palm pilot games, balls, knitting, cross stitch, needlepoint, other crafts, squishy toys)
27. Shaved head
28. Wearing gloves, mittens, bandaids on fingers, false fingernails
29. Read books about trich
30. Help groups
31. 12 step groups
32. Self-hynotherapy cd
33. Naturopathic physicians
34. Particular diets
35. Switched from contacts to glasses
36. Different trich resolution website
37. Moisturizer, keep fingers slick with lotion, vaseline on lashes
38. Hiding the tweezers
41. Self-Help books and tapes
42. Coloring hair, retaining hair wet, go away-in conditioners, completely different hair merchandise
43. Covered over the mirrors, don’t look into mirrors
44. Connecting with optimistic individuals
45. Don’t go to bed till sleepy
46. Sluggish respiration
47. Sit on arms, keep arms away from face
48. Chew gum
49. Inform myself the injury penalties of pulling
50. Wear false eyelashes, especially at night braiding with kanekalon hair and sleep in them
51. Stored hair quick
52. Make & keep common hair appointments with beautician. If an excessive amount of injury, will not want to go, but have to maintain appointment.
53. Caffeine discount
54. Make a pact with self. If I do not pull, I CAN _____.