01/07/16 – 01/08/sixteen
I thought it might take a couple of weeks and in the long run it was five lengthy, chilly weeks of using our foremost toilet and bathroom as a substitute of the ensuite. What a nightmare. All the way via I simply hoped it might all be price it. And guess what – it was! We each love the new bathroom. It’s quite simple, straightforward to scrub, we now have our toiletries organised in the drawers and behind the mirrors and it is a real delight bathing in there. It feels contemporary with out dropping a heat and comforting feeling.
Not his and hers sinks, because we don’t want them, however we each have our own aspect of the mirror cupboards and the drawers. Hanno has his shaving and tooth gear on his facet, I have deodorant, spare cleaning soap and shampoo, tooth brush and paste on my facet.
And you’ll see here that the wonderful Mr Fox has moved in with us. We also have a bamboo chair for hanging clothes whereas we’re within the shower and a seat on which to sit if wanted. The little step is for me to dry my ft. I bought into the curled brown hair habit of using the step on the aspect of the spa so this replaces that.
An overhead shower in addition to a hand shower. I solely use the overhead after i wash my hair but it feels like standing beneath a waterfall. There is not any shower stall, just a shower display screen on one aspect with a stroll in shower. We thought this would develop outdated with us and might be suitable if one of us has to sit down in the shower or use a wheel chair.
I like this rest room because it has a really quiet flush. Great for previous bladders when now we have our middle of the evening trips. ;- ) The drawers are for odds and ends on Hanno’s side and makeup and a hair dryer on my side. Below in the deep drawers we’ve got towels on my aspect and bathroom rolls and cleaning gear on Hanno’s.
When we moved into this home in 1997 we prolonged the house to incorporate one other massive bedroom and ensuite. That is the bathroom we simply renovated. Bathrooms are all the time pricey, both when new and once they’re renovated. This was no completely different. We had a budget of $6,000 and though that is much lower than the common value of a bathroom renovation, I was happy that it got here in on value.
A number of the issues that helped us keep the prices down were:
– We used the prevailing plumbing outlets, so the toilet, vanity and shower are all in the same place.
– We eliminated an 18 12 months outdated spa bath and did not replace the bath.
– We sourced all our own constructing materials, fixtures and fittings. We bought the tiles from a place known as cheap tiles online and if you are in Brisbane, or close to it, it’s value a go to to the website to see their stock. Lots of their tiles are current stock in places like Harvey Norman and are half their value.
– Look for non-slip tiles.
– The vanity, vanity taps, mirror, bamboo chair and step are from Ikea, the shower, shower display and bathroom are from Bunnings. Mr Fox towels from Bed, Bath and Past; they have a July sale on now. All the towel rails, the shower mixer, bathroom roll holder and venetian blind have been recycled from the previous bathroom.
– We are passed the stage when we will do the work ourselves so we got a quote from the man who has been doing our common house upkeep and repairs. He did the work along with his son. If you are able to do among the work your self, it will save some huge cash. At the very least you can fastidiously remove the outdated bathroom.
– Ask for quotes from all of the people who will do work – the builder, plumber, electrician, waterproofer, and ask for an itemised listing of what work they will carry out. The most affordable quote may not be the very best worth for cash.
– After work is done for the day, clean up and ensure the employees always come in to a clear house. Having to scrub up before they begin or after they finish, adds to the fee.
– Make sure that you know how lengthy you have got to attend before stepping on the tiles, grouting, waterproofing and curled brown hair so forth. Should you stand on something earlier than it is set, it’d have to be executed again.
– Be absolutely sure of your design and colours before starting. Making adjustments through the work will improve the price of the project and the time it takes to finish it.
This bathroom renovation is the last major mission we’ll do right here. We’ve been working our approach by way of our upgrades for the past few years as energy and funds allow and we’re very joyful to have all the most important work finished. That may help us dwell effectively in our own house within the years forward and once we die, our house shall be in affordable shape for the kids to promote.
I like how our houses can evolve slowly with us as we age. It takes forethought and a sensible plan however it does help with the ageing process when you make slight and not so slight adjustments when or before they’re wanted. Do you might have a plan for your private home to mirror the changes you go through as you grow older